Recycling an old flame

Pinterest

I’ve been eyeing my husbands fire pit for some time now. We got it a few years back & enjoyed many lovely evenings by the fire. However for the better part of the last year or two it’s sat untouched because of a city bylaw banning wood burning fires, including fire pits. Alright. Seems reasonable enough.

So back to my plan. I’ve been working on my husband for some time. Every once in a while I’d grumble about it being in the way, and then add: “One of these days I’m going to plant this thing!” and he’d laugh and we’d carry on.

Last week I decided it was time. So I did a check with the husband to make sure it wasn’t going to bug him if he came home and found it planted. He feigned displeasure, but agreed.

Cut to yesterday. We had a couple hours until we needed to be at family’s house to celebrate my birthday, and I was twitching to plant. I have been slowly collecting some interesting Sedum’s & the time had finally come. So I skipped outside and got to work.
First I collected up all my supplies. Dirt, rocks, plants and an old clay mask that my husband dropped & broke years ago. I filled up the fire pit with a good container mix and placed the pieces of mask around a Sedum that I had dug out of the front garden. I played with it until I was happy with the results. Then I dug in the other specimens.I don’t know the names of all of these little plants. Most were unlabeled plant sale finds, and others were dug up & split from my front garden. Ahhh what do you do.

Anywhoo, once everything was where I wanted it, I placed the rocks.Some are big, and some little. All of them are stunning on a rainy day like yesterday. River rocks have such beautiful colouring!Of course the plants are outstanding too!I made sure to thank my husband profusely! I’m in love with this re-used fire pit!
Later at dinner I found out why he was suddenly so okay with my re purposing his old toy. The kids got me a new fire pit for my birthday. This one is gas, which is no problem with our local by-laws.

Sneaky husband! He’s great at letting me think I’m getting my way, when really he’s pulling all the strings!

Pinterest

This entry was posted in Reduce Reuse & Recycle. Bookmark the permalink.

19 comments on “Recycling an old flame

1. Carrie on said:

looks great! I shall hire you to plan my gardens next year ;)

2. Laura on said:

@Carrie thanks! I love that this project cost me nothing. Well, almost nothing. Reused fire pit/planter rocks skimmed off of the fronts rock landscape. Transplanted plants and a few toonie deals from a plant sale. Even the soil was left over mix from baskets. I love it when a plan comes together!

3. Marguerite on said:

WOW, you would never know that was a former fire pit! What a fantastic job you've done. The mask is an especially artistic touch. Way to go!

4. Aerelonian on said:

That's a great idea. It looks really good! It's too bad that you can't burn anything but you definitely made the best of it.

5. Laura on said:

@Marguerite & Aerelonian I'm pretty impressed with how it turned out. I figured (like with most things) it will either be amazing or completely suck. I'm hoping it's the former :)

6. Not Hannah on said:

Wow, that looks awesome!!! I'm very proud of you.

7. Mike on said:

WOW! That is awesome…it kinds looks like something you'd see on the show "Lost"

8. Laura on said:

@Not Hannah I just told my husband what you wrote, and he asked if that was the lady with the 'world changing' cookie recipe. Lol! See your famous!@Mike you've floored me. That's a huge compliment to me! I miss lost (sob!)@Carrie, Michael would also like me to mention that my rates are very reasonable ;)

9. Kristin on said:

What a beautiful planting! I love the mask.

10. Stevie from GardenTherapy.ca on said:

that is such a great idea – I just LOVE it! You are so creative, Laura.

11. That looks cool! We had a similar experience, had fires, realized later it is illegal and it has been rusting ever since.

12. Anonymous on said:

Happy Birthday, wonderful & amazing daughter of mine.

13. Anonymous on said:

Your blog profile's "about me" age is now:"The Big Three Ohhhhhh!!"Happy Birthday from Mom

14. Rebecca @ In The Garden on said:

Hey Laura, what a fabulous post!!!! The mask is gorgeous, and such an interesting addition (why don't I ever think of things like that????). It makes such a beautiful planter, really stunning. I look forward to watching it grow. Congrats on your new gas fire pit, you do have a sneaky husband. Oh, and the mystery rose in your sidebar has me swooning, I'm a total sucker for yellow & pink roses. :) R

15. Laura on said:

@Kristin thanks! I was so sad when the mask was broken. I'm thrilled I finally got to reuse it!@Dan I think they banned fires a few months after we bought ours. Like I said, it makes sense (residential treed neighborhoods, yadda yadda yadda) but it was sd to lose the real fire experience.@Anonymous oh Mom! Thanks for the birthday wishes!@Rebecca @ In the Garden I've been planning to do something with that broken mask for years now. Spring cleaning was what kicked it into high gear. I had to finally plant it or toss it. I chose the former!

16. Heather on said:

Hi – just popped by for a visit! Nice blog!

17. Mary C. on said:

Great re-use!!! And great hubby!

18. Lisa McM on said:

Your project turned out beautifully, and the mask is great. Just the perfect touch to have peeking out at you, I love him. I love to use broken bits of things I find too. I use lots of river rocks and big clear marbles, they looks gorgeous in the sun, like sparkling jewels. I put succulents in a leaky birdbath with a stone toad, lots of crystals and huge clear marbles. He looks like he is guarding treasure lol

19. Pingback: Market Treasures. | The Dandelion Wrangler